What are the basic supplies in a good grooming box?
And speaking of which, it doesn't need to be a box. It can be a bucket, or an empty supplement container, or a bag, or a box, or even a step stool that opens to storage.
I have a few "can't do without" things that I use everyday and are kept in a tidy grooming box. The not so frequently used items are tucked away in another tote in the tack room.
- Thermometer. Digital ones are good, they are fast, safe, and easy. Check your horse's TPR every day, your horse may have a fever long before he "tells" you.
- Curry mitt or curry comb. I like to figure out what "hardness" of rubber curry works well for my horses. They come in all different sizes and densities, it's a matter of what works for you. You can also find metal ones, and I'm not sure I would use them on a horse. However, the metal ones are super for scraping the dust off of your brushes as you use them.
- Hoof pick with brush. I try and have one on the stall door, to minimize the ick that gets brought into the barn aisle. I also have one in the box for the post ride clean out.
- Harder, natural bristle brush. For flicking off the loosened dirt and hair the curry brings to the surface. I have had my favorite hard brush for about six years now. Worth every penny to go natural! I prefer this brush to have dense, natural bristles.
- Soft brush, also natural material. This is great for buffing and creating a shine after the hard brush. Use in longer strokes to bring the oils to the surface of the coat.
- Some sort of vitamin A & D ointment for the corners of the mouth, before the bit goes in. Also good for minor scrapes and boo-boos.
- Hoof dressing, if you like that sort of stuff.
- Scissors. Because you always need a pair when you don't have one.
- Super dense and super hard nylon bristled brush. I use this for muck on hooves, and for cleaning the pads, boots, and blankets before the laundry. Also good to get damp and brush the mane with to help train it down to one side.
One way to store stuff.
That about wraps it up for me....Although it seems like every day more and more stuff gets added...so it starts to be a little wild. (Like the one above!) That's fine, every week I clean brushes and tidy the box.
What things do you have in your box that you use every day??