What do I pack for my vacation which will include riding?
I love to vacation - and at some point, no matter where I am, I want to ride. I think it’s safe to say that most vacation destinations have some sort of riding opportunity. As horse people, how can we stay away? So what do you bring with you? This really depends on how much saddle time you are going to be having. If you are vacationing and may do one ride, you need to pack much differently than if you are going for a week long, horse intensive, ride all the live long day every day type of vacation.
The bare minimum for horse time on vacation:
- Sunscreen and lip balm.
- Bandages. (Saddles are often unforgiving and definitely not custom. Weird rubs pop up.)
- Shoes with a heel, like paddock boots.
Horses on vacation! What could be better!
A little more if you don't want to rough it:
- Half chaps (again with the weird rubs from unfamiliar tack).
Even more for the every day horse experience trip:
- Proper riding boots.
- Shirts appropriate for the discipline, long sleeve to ward off the sun if you prefer.
- Whatever you need to take care of your own body’s soreness: bandages, anti-inflammatories, epsom salts, wine, whatever.
A very unforgiving vacation saddle.
Now is not the time to bring your brand new cowboy boots. Break everything in before you go! Also make sure whatever pants you bring fit nicely, have some stretch, and don’t have seams in inconvenient places. Try them out in the saddle before you go!
What do you pack for your horse vacations - or what did you wish you had packed??